Slee Blackwell Solicitors have recovered compensation for a Devon accident victim who suffered serious burns.
We have recently succeeded in winning compensation for Mr Victor Barrell, a retired roofer who lives in Northam, near Bideford in North Devon.
Mr Barrell was repairing a flat roof at his daughter-in-law’s property in Barnstaple when the hired gas bottle and torch he was using caught fire, probably because of a faulty regulator on the bottle. He managed to kick the equipment off the roof, but suffered burns to his arms and face. Adjoining buildings were also damaged by the fire. He was rushed to the burns unit at Frenchay hospital in Bristol and it took many months of painful treatment before he recovered.
The personal injury solicitor at Slee Blackwell who handled Mr Barrell’s compensation claim on a no win, no fee basis commented:
“This was an unusual accident and initially NFU Mutual, the insurers for the hire shop, denied there was any fault with the equipment. Our client was a very experienced worker and had done nothing wrong. After specialist expert evidence was obtained on the bottle and torch, the insurers accepted that it must have been faulty and we negotiated an out of court settlement of the claim. I am pleased to say that Mr Barrell received 100% of his compensation, with no deductions or anything to pay. He made a very good recovery and was lucky to have escaped far more serious injury.”
For help and advice with Devon accident claims contact us on 0333 888 0404 or email us at [email protected]. We are one of the region’s most experienced personal injury law firms and are recommended for this area of law by the influential Legal 500. We are able to meet clients at any of our Devon offices (Barnstaple, Braunton, South Molton and Bideford). We also have an office in Taunton, Somerset. We also offer a free case assessment and can make home or hospital visits.