Jade Scoble of our medical negligence team looks at oral and maxillofacial negligence claims
What is Oral and Maxillofacial surgery?
Oral and Maxillofacial is considered a specialist area of surgery, as surgeons practising in this area require a dual qualification in medicine and dentistry, as well as comprehensive general and specialist surgical training. It is often seen as the bridge between medicine and dentistry and focuses on diagnosing, managing, and treating facial injuries, such as the mouth, jaw, and neck. Due to the nature of the surgeries that are performed, oral and maxillofacial surgeons work alongside a variety of other specialists, such as ENT surgeons, plastic surgeons, orthodontists, clinical oncologists, restorative dentists, radiologists, and neurosurgeons.
Types of treatment
A large range of oral and maxillofacial operations are carried out, either as an outpatient or an inpatient, depending on the severity of the condition.
- Pre implant surgery placement of dental implants
- Removal of impacted teeth
- Intra-oral and facial soft tissue procedures
- Removal of buried dental roots
- Removal of wisdom teeth
Reconstruction and Removal
- Facial reconstruction
- Jaw reconstruction
- Removal of cysts and tumours of the jaws
- Removal of complex facial skin tumours
- Face lifts
- Eyelid and brow surgery
- Facial deformities such as cleft lip surgery
- Management of benign and malignant lesions of the salivary glands
- Management and surgery for head and neck cancer
- Management of complex craniofacial fractures and soft tissue injuries of the mouth, face and neck
Oral and maxillofacial negligence
Negligence claims can occur for many reasons, due to the extensive surgeries that are performed, however the main reasons for negligence are:
- Failure to treat a medical issue in a timely manner;
- Failure to diagnose;
- Procedure being carried out incorrectly, causing further injury; and
- The wrong treatment being carried out.
How we can help
Our team of medical negligence lawyers are here to help you claim the compensation you deserve on a No Win, No Fee basis.
If you think you may have experienced some type of negligence from having oral and maxillofacial treatment, please contact our friendly helpline team, who will discuss your case with you, Call us free on 0333 888 0404 or get in touch by email at [email protected]